It’s only been eighteen months since our launch back in August of 2006, and we’ve already gone live with Vital 2.0. All three of our sites have a new look, improved navigation, and a custom-written backend system. Some of the highlights:
- A new homepage. Our users spend the majority of their time with us watching videos, so we put a video player right on the homepage. The homepage also has a more “modular” structure, with the latest updates from each part of the site automatically flowing into the various sections. Users can now see the latest news, features, forum posts, product reviews, etc. with just one scroll through the homepage.
- Members can comment on nearly everything on the site.
- Our new forum is a lot faster and more functional than the old one. Also, each thread has the profile image for each member who is participating in that discussion.
- The member profiles are much easier to modify.
- Better overall speed and performance.
The biggest improvement isn’t actually even visible. It’s the fact that we wrote the code for our system from scratch. Our old sites were built on several open-source systems that were cobbled together. The upside of this was that we were able to launch relatively quickly. The downside was that we were dealing with code that was written by thousands of volunteers, and trying to make it do things for which it was never intended. Aaron Chandler, our senior developer, spent six sleep-deprived months coding our new system in Ruby on Rails. The beauty of having our own platform is that future changes and additions will be faster and easier to develop (and we’ve got a whole list of ideas for 2008).
We had a feedback link on the sites so we could hear what our loyal users thought about version 2.0. Take a look at some of the comments (verbatim, of course):
I love it man, its an awesome new look and i think that its alot easier to surf around on the site. All the main things are on the main page great job
I like the new design, it is much more user-friendly and it allows for ease of use. WAY BETTER!
I really like the new layout of the website. The home page is a lot more organized and appealing. It makes it easier to get anywhere on the site. No complaints so far and I pretty much use this site everyday.
hey love the new look, looks great better than the old style u guys had but cool man and thanks for setting this site up lets bikers from everywhere hang out and check each others ride out. i just wanted to say thanks
thiss site has always been good and now its even better…this site is what makess me motivated to ridee!!!
Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever happened to amazing homepage that i have grown used to viewing every morning of the week? I feel as if a childhood friend has left me abrubtly, Maybe, just maybe… I can deal with this tyranny.
I really like the new design. It is much easier to use rather than the old design. I supposed to be doing a school report right now, but I think this is much funner. Lol
Hey! Great re-design! Awesome! Congratulations!
much better, I like the “:05″ time back on the video player… nice one…
I like it. It suits me more. It seems up to date. Thank you for the new version of Vital Skate. You will make me feal alot better. Thank you once more.
Check out the new sites at VitalBMX.com, VitalSkate.com, and VitalMX.com.